Thursday, July 9, 2015

Last day of Exchange

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?

Today is the last day of my exchange year in Chile. It is nearly impossible to believe nor fathom. I arrived to Chile more than 10 months ago. I did not speak the language, I had never come to this country, and I left all of my family and friends in the US and would see them for my entire exchange year. I arrived not knowing anyone, and now I am leaving behind some of the most important people that have come in to my life and impacted me unlike anyone else. I am so proud of how far I have come and progressed. Looking back I cannot believe what I have done in just one year: I have learned a new culture, language, made incredible friends and found loving families, I have learned how to be more independent, but most of all I have learned how to communicate. Not simply with words, but empathizing and seriously understanding someone and their point of view.

My Rotary youth exchange has given me so much strength and bravery. I fought through the hardest parts of exchange and those have only made me a better and stronger person. I remember at the beginning of my exchange when I would almost cry because I couldn't explain myself or understand what someone was saying to me. I remember crying because all I wanted to do was hold my parents and just have at least a bit of familiarity in my life. I remember when all I would want was to cuddle with my little sister and tell her how much I love her. But I remember fighting through the hard parts and realizing that I was making extreme progress even if I didn't realize it. It is so hard for me imagine the time I could not speak Spanish because it has become so natural for me. Now after 10 months and a little but of struggle in the beginning, I am returning to be with my family again. The only difference this time is that I am leaving behind my host families that I love so much and will have to wait a while to see them again.

I am so thankful for my classmates and friends here. They have supported me so much, they have made me laugh, and have had amazing patience. I love everyone of them and how thoughtful they are. On my last day of school they threw me a going away party and each gave me a card with a  note to me. I cried almost all the day because I have so much pain to leave these people who have done so much for me. I truly am going to my friends and my best friend who has always been with me. But I know we will all see each other again someday and I can't wait.

In the end, exchange has made me a better person. I am more mature, independent, , confident and communicable. I have learned to stand up for myself and to express my opinions while respecting others. I have traveled all of Chile, including Easter Island. I have been to Argentina on vacations and spent time in such genuine places that I never imagined I would ever have the change to go. Thank you for all of those opportunities to everyone that has made this possible!

It hurts to leave because I know that I am leaving a life behind me. But this is not a goodbye, this is a thank you. Thank you Chile for coming into my life and giving me a lot of joy, thank you to my exchange families who have loved me and received my love in return. Thank you for the memories I will never forget and will cherish forever. I will be leaving a little piece of me in Chile, but everyone I am leaving behind will have a spot in my heart forever. For anyone thinking of doing an exchange here is what I will say: Decide you want it more than you are afraid of it. Exchange has been the best experience and year of my life so far. I know I have so much to look forward to these next years that come!

Thank you to everyone who has made this possible. I want to give an enormous Thank you to Rotary, The Lee Belas foundation, my family and my friends. This never would have been possible without everyone apart of my exchange. Thank you for all of the effort, support, and encouragement. Thank you for one life in a year.

And finally, look around you and appreciate what you have, nothing will be the same in a year. Live every moment to the fullest and spend your time how you choose and with who you want. Do what makes you happy and be proud of all of the accomplishments you have made. I will miss you my Chilito.



No comments:

Post a Comment