Tuesday, September 2, 2014

School!

My school here in Chile is significantly different than my high school in Washington! I have started attending a school named, "Colegio Carampangue", a private Catholic school in Peñaflor, which is about 15-20 minutes away from my house in Talagante. The first day was really exciting and fun! When I arrived with my host sister, she walked me to my classroom and from there the students came up to me and greeted me each with a kiss on right cheek! I thought it was funny how all the girls were grouped together and came to greet me and then all of the guys were in a group and greeted me. They greeted me in a somewhat line formation so I felt like the Queen or something! From there we took attendance and the homeroom teacher had another boy in the class become my translator because he has perfect English (almost). He spent a few months or so in England, so he speaks with a British accent which is entertaining! From there I went to some classes and was really confused. Then I had lunch. Between each class (the classes are really long) are 10 minute breaks, where we all stand around and talk, kick a ball around, eat food, etc. While (dirty) English music is blasting and people practice dances inside the classroom for an assembly we have coming up next week. The guys in my class are doing a dance to "Wiggle" and my dance has a few different songs. Its fun! I also think I have to learn the Cueca, which is the national dance of Chile! I don't know what is going on at school most of the time, the teachers talk so fast and since I came to the school during the middle of the year, it feels impossible! But oh well. Once I get down Spanish I think my life will be a lot easier! My classmates love hearing me speak English and they equally like speaking English to me to be helpful. School starts at 8:30 and goes to 3:30 except for a few days a week when it goes until 5:30.  I have had my fair share of challenges but I definitely love it here! More to come later! Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment