Sunday, August 17, 2014

Visa, Plane Ticket, Party Galore

Exactly 5 days until I leave, catch my first flight to Dallas, and from there travel directly to Santiago; leaving the USA behind for a year. I cannot believe how fast the time has gone by! It feels like just yesterday I was thinking, "In 5 months from now I will be leaving on a plane to Chile". And now it is really happening! I have so many emotions and excitement within me about this coming year! In one week from now, I will have nearly finished my first Sunday in my new country!

The last few weeks have been very hectic, but extremely fun! On Thursday, August 7th, I went to San Francisco to get my Visa at the Chilean Consulate (Finally!!). I woke up at 4 AM left my house at 4:30 and from there drove straight to the airport to catch my flight at 6:15. Driving so early in the morning taught me two lessons about life 1) There are some very aggressive drivers. They make stupid decisions and are rude. 2) 103.7 plays awesome 90's music at 4 AM. I highly recommend waking up at 4 AM just to listen to that station. Not really. But if you are up and it's convenient take my advice! When my Dad and I finally arrived at the airport he got his gate pass and we went straight through security thanks to TSA Pre-check and went straight to the gate! It was the best timing. I was the last one to board, yet I wasn't rushed. Maybe a little. But on that early flight I was able to see the sunrise through the clouds, and the 3 most beautiful mountains in Washington. Mt. Rainier looked breathtaking with the sunrise shining and the snowy peaks looked unreal. About 2 or so hours later I landed and went to baggage claim to meet my Travel Agent who would be accompanying me to the Consulate. While I waited I met another girl going to Santiago, Chile! She was really nice and we had a great time the entire day! From there, all 3 of us took the B.A.R.T to the beautiful building that held the Chilean Consulate of San Francisco! Here is a summary of everything that happened in that tiny, tiny, TINY white room while we got our Visa's: They would call us up, ask us some questions, we would sort through the paper work, make a lot of signatures, fingerprint and in the end finally obtain the beautiful, wonderful, glorious stamp on a page in our Passport to prove we have a Student Visa for the year. That took about 4 and a half hours....of mostly sitting and waiting! Once we were finally out, we went to a huge shopping mall across from the building and ate Panda Express, then shopped for about 30 minutes. From there we had to catch our flight back and went straight to the airport. But it was great seeing San Francisco for all of the 10 minutes I actually went outside! On the way back I got to see Crater Lake from my window which looked beautiful!

After about 4 days later, my travel agent booked my flight! I will be travelling through American Airlines, leaving SeaTac at 2:10 PM on August 22nd, arriving at Dallas FT Worth for my connecting flight later that night and from there flying straight to Santiago to arrive at 8:05 AM on Saturday August 23rd. I feel like time is seriously flying by. In a matter of days I will be hugging my first family "Hello" for the first time!

Yesterday my INCREDIBLE Mom, along with the help of my Sister and Dad, threw me an amazing going away party! All of my family and close family friends were there and that was really special to me! Everyone was SO beyond kind, generous, supportive, and caring. You are all the best people, and I am way too lucky to have each of you in my life. I said many Good-byes, which felt to strange, and had many laughs. The food was so delicious. The hard work and preparation really paid off, because it was the best time! Thanks to everyone who generously came to support me!

Today my family went up to SeaTac airport along with the first host family, and many amazing Rotary Youth Exchange Counselors, leaders, and the Midday president to welcome Marie, the Gig Harbor Exchange student from Germany! She will be here the year that I am gone and my family will be her second host family during the year, having her from early December to March! She was really sweet and seemed very happy to see us all waiting for her! From there we all went our separate ways. And my family went out for a delicious good ole' lunch at Red Robin! I am counting down the days...and continue to be feeling disbelief! I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment